A jobs board for ex-offenders looking for fresh starts, and employers seeking new talent
Inclusive Design Adviser
|Job Title:||Inclusive Design Adviser|
|Job Published:||January 12, 2019 15:21|
Inclusive Design Advisor 028167
Organisation - HR Performance & Planning
Job - Senior Manager
Position Type - Full Time
Location: St James’s Park
Salary: c. £57,000 - £63,000 (more may be available for an exceptional candidate)
About the role:
The Inclusive Design Advisor role is part of the Diversity and Inclusion team who are responsible for thought leadership and strategic direction on inclusive design.
As the Inclusive Design Advisor you will be responsible for providing Transport for London with the knowledge needed to realise our vision of creating the most inclusive and accessible transport network anywhere in the world. You will coordinate a programme of work to make sure that TfL has the right skills and knowledge in place to deliver the inclusive design agenda which is a Mayoral priority. You will help teams and partners to work together to create safer, more inclusive and more accessible end-to-end journeys. Using best practice research, evidence and insights from our passengers you will also help the organisation to set priorities and to remain cost effective while continuously improving the service to our customers. Our definition of Inclusive Design is 'the design of mainstream structures or services that are accessible to, and usable by, as many people as reasonably possible.
• Inclusive internal and external stakeholder engagement with those responsible for design standards and policy. Through this engagement they will influence the change needed to ensure inclusive design is embedded at TfL and in the wider transport sector.
• Influence and engage others to help ensure a more joined up and coordinated programme of activity that will deliver the transport related objectives within the Mayor's Inclusive London strategy, accessibility objectives within the Mayor's Transport Strategy and relevant policies within the London Plan.
• Research and facilitate development of innovative solutions to Inclusive Design challenges including the production of new inclusive design metrics to measure our progress in this area of work.
• Provide detailed, tactical, advice, guidance and expert challenge on Inclusive Design to small, medium and large infrastructure projects.
• Provide some strategic advice to the organisation on Inclusive Design policy, standards and future thinking.
• Produce and / or share comprehensive, relevant and up-to-date Inclusive Design guidance and training activities across the TfL and the supply chain.
• Awareness raising on breadth of considerations within Inclusive Design including newer areas of thinking on gender and neurodiversity as well as promoting the benefits of Inclusive Design to safety, revenue and passengers satisfaction.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
• Ability to communicate and present complex information
• Ability to influence internal and external stakeholders
• Ability to research and interpret information
• High levels of knowledge and expertise on Inclusive Design in relation to transport, the development of public realm and retail and housing developments on Transport for London (TfL) land (inc Building Regs, Part M and BS8300 and Dept for Transport Tactile Paving Guidance)
• High levels of knowledge of the Equality Act in relation to transport
• A detailed and thorough understanding of the social model of disability
• A good understanding of rail, bus and tube accessibility standards, their limitations and application
• A good understanding of London-wide and local planning guidance as it relates to TfL
• An understanding of London and its diversity and inclusion landscape.
• The successful applicant will be able to offer significant evidence of influencing strategic change relating to inclusive design in a complex organisation in a way that amplifies their own efforts by creating allies and advocates
• They will have experience of coordinating programmes of work on Inclusive Design and accessibility issues, grounded in a solid evidence base and demonstrating a commitment to the social model of disability
• They will also have experience of upskilling colleagues and enabling others to play their part
• Their experience will have been gained in a relevant discipline although non-transport related inclusive design expertise will be valuable too.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Please apply using your CV and a two page covering letter.
Think carefully about the skills, knowledge and experience in the advert and cover this in your CV and cover letter.
The closing date for applications is Thursday, 31st January 2019 @ 23:59
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
• Final salary pension scheme
• Free travel for you on the TfL network
• A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
• Flexible working
• Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional)
• 30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays
• Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
• Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
• Discounted Eurostar travel
This vacancy is being re-advertised, if you applied before you should not apply again.