A jobs board for ex-offenders looking for fresh starts, and employers seeking new talent
Engineer - Structures
|Job Title:||Engineer - Structures|
|Job Published:||March 26, 2019 11:27|
Engineer – Structures
What is the purpose of this role?
As a result of the growth of the Darlington office, our Structures team have requirement for an Engineer (Bridges) to work on a variety of Highways England schemes.
The Engineer’s role will be to develop designs from concept to detailed design using local and national guidance and best practice to achieve cost effective solutions in accordance with the Client's requirements. Produce feasibility studies, engineering solutions, design concepts. design details, calculations, drawings, specifications, reports and other technical documents in an appropriate format ensuring compliance with Amey procedures.
To provide support to a Senior and/or Principal Engineer within a design team to ensure compliance with all relevant technical standards and that the delivery of all the specified project outcomes are on time, within budget and to the quality required.
What is the purpose of this role?
You will be working in a client focused role on a new generation Design Support Contract with Highways England and you will need to develop and maintain a strong relationship with the client. You will be responsible to ensure portfolios of projects are delivered, cost-effective, technically sound design solutions are produced to programme and within budget checking for compliance with all relevant technical standards.
What makes this role unique?
You will implement the project requirements to fully meet the client specification in accordance with relevant standards.
Selected candidate will have chance to work on a variety of interesting and challenging highways structures schemes.
What will this role involve?
Implement the project requirements to fully meet the client specification in accordance with relevant standards;
• Undertake any work of a technical nature that falls within ability and competence;
• Be confident to work under minimum supervision and competent to check the work of others and supervise less experienced or junior staff;
• Assist with competency appraisal processes subject to suitable level of supervision;
• Carry out site visits and surveys, inspections and supervise sub-contractors;
• Prepare and check feasibility studies, inspection, assessment and technical reports and other written documents in an appropriate format ensuring compliance with Amey procedures;
• Management of own workload to help ensure timely project delivery is achieved within budget and to the required standard;
• Comply with the requirements of the Amey Integrated Management System including Health & Safety, Environmental and all other appropriate regulations;
• Prepare/check design approach, calculations, drawings and documents;
• Take line management responsibility for the direction and supervision of junior design team members to help ensure timely project delivery is achieved within budget and in accordance with the specification;
• Engage in client and third party liaison;
• Support the preparation of bids and delivery of services on other contracts, when required;
• Keep up to date with industry best practice and where appropriate apply best practice within the team environment;
• Undertake the performance appraisals for all reporting staff and support learning and development opportunities;
• Any other duties commensurate with the post.
What are we looking for?
Chartered or Incorporated Engineer (CEng / IEng through ICE, CIHT or IStructE) or
approaching CEng or IEng status having completed the necessary training requirements;
• Experience in the preparation of highways structures schemes (bridges, retaining walls,
culverts etc.) including preparation of Specifications, bill items, risk assessments and method
• Experience of working to structural design codes, and experience of working to the Highways
England DMRB and MCHW;
• Computer literate and conversant with the MS Office suite. Experience with appropriate
engineering software packages (AutoCAD, structural analysis packages such as LUSAS,
• Experience of Level 2 BIM would be an advantage;
• Good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to lead a small team and have a
dedicated approach to working within and meeting strict deadlines. Experience in dealing with
clients, other consultants and the public;
• Client focused approach to service delivery;
• IOSH working and managing safety would be an advantage;
• Experience in environmental awareness for managers would be an advantage;
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's