|Job Title:||City Planner|
|Job Published:||October 17, 2019 16:46|
City Planner 031565
Organisation - Transport Strategy & Planning
Job - Transport Planning
Position Type - Full Time
Location: Stratford, London (5 Endeavour Square) and Southwark, London (Palestra)
Salary: upto 36k per annum (based on experience)
Transport Strategy and Planning
London’s transport system is among the most integrated and progressive ones in the world. From the Ultra Low Emission Zone to the adoption of the Healthy Streets Approach and the development of world-leading safety standards, TfL is at the forefront of innovation.
Working in the Transport Strategy and Planning team, you will build on this legacy to solve the challenges London must face to grow as a global city while enhancing Londoners’ quality of life.
We lead TfL's thinking on transport policy, strategy and planning and its role in driving the future success of London. We are responsible for overseeing the Mayor's Transport Strategy and related plans and proposals, working closely with TfL colleagues and City Hall to develop and implement world-leading initiatives to improve London's transport network and make the city work better for everyone. We are responsible for delivering a wide range of outcomes, including meeting ambitious targets for mode shift, health, air quality, carbon reduction and reducing road danger.
We are inquisitive and creative in developing evidence-based policy interventions to support new homes and jobs, improve quality of life and ultimately shape the future growth of the capital. We assess the impacts of these policies and the overall benefits of our investment, making the case for continued investment in sustainable transport and shaping London’s future transport priorities through the TfL Business Plan.
Alongside this policy work, we are able to get down to details and support TfL's operating businesses and the London boroughs as they deliver the Mayor’s Transport Strategy. Our policy work and technical expertise plays a vital role in supporting these partners providing direction on TfL's transport priorities, innovative solutions and advice on policy implementation and overcoming challenges, as well as technical support.
These roles have the opportunity to work across the following policy areas:
• Sustainable Modes - Lead TfL's thinking on the future development of interventions to enable more Londoners to walk, cycle and use public transport, including shaping future investment in Healthy Streets and developing new strategies for bus and rail modes
• Air Quality, Environment and Health - Lead TfL's strategy to improve air quality in London, reduce transport-related carbon emissions and improve overall environmental resilience in the Capital. This policy area also includes a focus on embedding public health within TfL
• Roads and Freight - Lead the development of policy to deliver the objectives of the MTS including mode shift and, This policy area is also responsible for leading TfL's thinking on the future of London's streets including the strategic approach to reallocation of road space, managing freight and reducing road danger
This is a generic recruitment process with a single City Planner Job Description (see details below) covering all roles. The team encourage flexible, matrix-style working, meaning that the successful candidates will have the opportunity to work across all three policy areas described above.
We will assess applicants solely against the Knowledge, Skills and Experience criteria below, however you are welcome to indicate on your covering letter if there are specific policy areas you would prefer.
• Assist the development of evidence-based policies, plans and projects for a portfolio/mode/geographic area, including analysis, technical information, option generation, research proposals, best practice reviews, understanding operational/stakeholder needs and develop briefing and other materials to support key decision makers
• Engage with internal and external stakeholders, represent TfL at meetings, presentations and seminars, and provide technical support on their specific area of focus to support the delivery of TfL priorities
• Work flexibly in matrix teams, including day-to-day management of specific tasks or projects, working with the delivery businesses and co-ordinating input from across TfL to feed into revisions of the MTS, London Plan, other Strategies, area plans and the development of particular schemes
• Analyse new or changed legislation affecting the policy, strategy, project and portfolio, reviewing and interpreting research and data analysis and assessing and communicating issues to help shape policy / plan / scheme development
• Assist in developing and promoting policy standards, guidance and advice relating to the mode/topic/area. This could include developing specific objectives/metrics/targets at the operational level or for particular geographic areas
• Support modal, area, corridor or other studies to understand the transport challenges and develop potential options to address them, including supporting the appraisal of schemes and policies and development of robust business cases
• Work with the delivery businesses to support the development, testing and progressing of particular schemes, actions and programmes to support delivery of the MTS / meet the needs of particular areas of London
• Work with the GLA, boroughs and others to input to their strategies and plans to ensure transport priorities are understood and reflected and promote best practice and innovative solutions to address the challenges facing London
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Relevant qualification at degree level or higher and/or professional membership / qualification of a recognised professional Institution (e.g. ICE; IHT; CILT; RTPI) or equivalent experience
• Knowledge around emerging best practices in some of the following areas: transport, economics, appraisal, land use planning, environment, public health and urban design (essential)
• Understanding of project management processes including their strategic transport context (desirable)
• Understanding of cities from the perspective of transport systems, health and environment, particularly London and its governance (Essential)
• Understanding of transport planning and the wider context to the development of projects and proposals (Essential)
• Understanding of TfL's financial, legal, political and regulatory environment
• Initiation and Feasibility of transport schemes in line with policies & other requirements- Practitioner
• The relationship between data and its intended application- Practitioner
• Developing or assessing transport policies and procedures- Practitioner
• Developing work plans- Practitioner
• Good standard of verbal, visual and written communication, including producing high quality reports and presentations
• Experience of working in a project, programme, planning or policy environment
• Experience of working in a flexible team environment, including multi-disciplinary teams
• Experience of producing and presenting complex information in a simple way material for key stakeholders (internal and external)
Please apply using your CV and a two page (maximum) covering letter. Think carefully about the skills, knowledge and experience outlined in the job description and ensure your CV and cover letter reflects the requirements of the role you are applying for. Short listing will be carried out on the basis of answers to any pre-screening questions and the information on your CV and covering letter.
The closing date for applications is 27th October 2019 @ 23:59, Please be aware we may close the advert early dependant on the volume of applications.
Interviews will potentially be held from W/C 4th or 11th November 2019
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
ELIGIBILITY– INTERNAL EMPLOYEES & External Candidates
In line with our Resourcing Policy (Feb 2014), internal employees are required to complete their probationary period before applying for internal TfL positions. Please ensure you have successfully completed your probation before submitting an application for this role, otherwise your application maybe withdrawn.
Internal employees with any current formal warnings are not eligible to apply for internal TfL vacancies until expiry of the warning. Ineligible applications may be withdrawn. Details of what is defined as a current formal warning can be found on Source:
Applications to internally advertised roles can only be accepted from temporary workers who are on PAYE terms via agency, or PAYE via Umbrella Companies. Temporary workers who are paid through their own limited companies are not covered by the Agency Worker Regulations and are ineligible to apply.
NPL members of staff are not eligible to apply to secondment opportunities.
TfL benefits package are attached and include:
• Final salary pension scheme
• Free travel for you and a Partner on the TfL network
• A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
• 30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays
• Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional)
• Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
• Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
• Discounted Eurostar travel
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's